Key West Coffee Cake
From the southernmost point in the continental U.S. comes this most Southern coffee cake. Citrus is everywhere—from cake to topping. All y’all need now is a tall glass of Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice.
- 2 oranges, peeled, sectioned and seeded
- One 15 & 1/2-ounce can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup orange juice reduction*
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 & 1/2 cups packaged biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small pan, bring 2 cups Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until half the liquid—1 cup—remains. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together orange sections, pineapple tidbits, 1/4 cup orange juice reduction, water, 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Cook and stir until mixture is thick and bubbly. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together biscuit mix, remaining orange juice reduction, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, egg, egg whites, and butter. Spread half the batter in a greased 9x13x2-inch baking pan. Spread fruit mixture over batter. Drop remaining batter in small mounds on filling. For topping, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over batter. Bake in a 350° F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.